The paper is based on the recognition that a new equilibrium has become established between the diverse mix of irrigated sectors that have varying requirements regarding the security of their water supply – and the three water security products that are now available. The paper therefore covers:
- A brief analysis of the 2019/20 season
- A short history of irrigation development in the Southern Connected Basin
- An analysis of the physical characteristics of the system
- The implications for water markets
- The relationship between the level of water allocations and prices
- An assessment of likely future trends and the major challenges facing the Basin.
Click here to read a summary of the report.
A detailed report providing the background data is also available here.